CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, April 20, 2008

A bit of bragging

Saturday was the Salt Lake Marathon and as I mentioned earlier Peter and my brother Forrest signed up to run the 1/2 marathon portion of the event. The start gun went off at 7 am and they both finished just under two hours later. Not bad for their first attempt at running this distance. They had nice weather throughout with just a slight bit of wind at times. **Side note**(This nice weather didn't last all day. We had the windiest day EVER here in Salt Lake yesterday. Dust flying everywhere all day long. You couldn't see the sky, just a dusty haze everywhere. I have to say it was a bit annoying!)



Here's a shot of Peter as he ran the all important "final stretch" through the Gateway Plaza with the crowd cheering the runners on. (He's the one in the dark green shirt and black shorts.) Overall he had a decent run. His knees started to really bother him at about mile 9 but he powered through the pain and finished the race in 1115 place out of over 3000 runners.


Here they are after the race. I know they were both experiencing that runners high that you hear people talk about. The run was difficult but the sense of accomplishment that you feel afterwards is euphoric. I am very proud of both of them and hopefully I can join them next year in their quest to do better.

One funny thing about this marathon was the choice of vendor they used for the post run re-fueling station, or snack station. It was 7-11. That's right, the convenience store. So after running between 13 and 26 miles you had your choice of a hot dog or a deep fried bean burrito. Isn't that strange?! They did have bananas and cantaloupe and, my favorite, chocolate milk but a hot dog? Come on now, that's just ridiculous.

6 comments:

Torrie said...

Way to go pete!
i'm tired just thinking about how far he ran!

and 7-11? what is up with that?
maybe if they brought slurpee machines i could ALMOST understand...

Paige said...

Are you serious? Or was that your funniness about the burrito and hotdogs? Because it was funny. I'd like to have been sitting in on that meeting when that decision was made.

You'll run an awesome 1/2 next year.

Way to go Pete!

laura said...

mmmm..there's nothing like a deep fried burrito after a 13 mile run!

Ginger said...

I just wanted to comment about your previous blog regarding pedicures. I laughed because I just got my toes done too and I have always made sure my feet look cute at delivery time! I was even thinking about taking a picture of them and sticking it on my blog!

Oh and good job to your hubby!

Lauren said...

Yahoo! That is great...I am very impressed.

As for the hot-dogs...after a long run, I always grave a big ole' cheeseburger and fries so it doesn't seem to strange to me!

kelly said...

7-11...
that's hysterical!
way to go pete!